How we respond to a potential crisis can make the difference between smooth resolution and an emergency situation. De-escalation skills are all about developing responses which prevent violence and defuse volatile situations.
Based on our popular standard De-escalation course, this specialist version is designed especially for disability sector professionals.
Along with general tools and techniques to respond appropriately to threatening, violent, aggressive and other unexpected or inappropriate behaviour, this course explores particular behaviours and needs which are common in clients with a disability.
Guided by the principles of positive behaviours support and harm minimisation, the content is mindful of both disability legislation and prioritises the wellbeing of both clients and workers.
- Causes and triggers
- Preventing violence
- Responding to emergencies
- Stages of escalation
- Positive Behaviour Support principles
- Self-awareness and calming
- The role of body language
- Defusing skills
We also offer an optional follow-on program “Advanced De-escalation”.
This course includes
- Engaging, up-to-date materials.
- Take-home resource package.
- All day catering and beverages - with dietary needs catered for.
- Certificate of attendance.